Viimeistelin loppuun Kilpurilta jokin vuosi kesken jääneen siilin talvipesän. Vanha runko löytyi ulkoa pressun alta, ja se vaati yhden seinän kohdalta purkamista ja uudelleenrakentamista. Yläkerran naapureilla oli sopivasti tekeillä uusi koirankoppi, joten sain sieltä ylimääräistä hamppukuitua eristeeksi ja kattohuopaa kopin päälle. Hamppukuidun ei pitäisi olla allergisoivaa, ja se sopii siksi tähän tarkoitukseen paremmin kuin heinä. Kuitua piti hieman ravistella, jotta siitä tulisi ilmavampi ja vähemmän pölyisä. Rakensin oviaukkoon vielä pienen käytävän ja sisälle lyhyen seinän aukon viereen. Rakentamisessa on käytetty pääasiassa vanhaa roskalautaa, joka ei tuoksu uudelle puulle. Pesän seinät ovat saaneet toivottavasti ulko-oloissa pressun alla sopivan neutraalin tuoksun.
Puutyötila sai eilen tiistaina aiempaa raskastekoisemman sorvin. Nosto-ovellinen tila, mahdollisuus ajaa peräkärry sisälle asti, valmis taljan kiinnityspiste katossa ja pariovet huoneiden läpi tekivät siirto-operaatiosta tähän mennessä läbin helpoimman ison koneen liikkuttelutyön.
Nelileukaa tähän ei nyt ollut, joten kiinnitykset pitää tehdä laipoilla. Öljyt ja vaihteisto näyttivät hyväkuntoisilta. Konetta päästään kokeilemaan, kunhan sähkötyöt on ensin saatu valmiiksi.
Helsinki Hacklab ry. has today signed a new rental contract that increases our floor area from 215 m² to around 430 m². The contract is both for our current workspace and its neighboring storage rooms, which are now combined. Some of this area is subrented for other users, which means a total of something about 360 m² area in shared use for all our members. The extension enables us to rebuild our wood workshop completely, with more room for working and handling larger workpieces.
The area that extends our hackerspace has both a lifting door and another door for exit. The right to use the loading area in the back yard, which is the ramp that leads to our main door, is now included in the contract. Starting from July, the whole basement level of the building and most of the back yard is now shared only between our organization and our subtenants. In case of large workpieces, twin doors were installed between the rooms that lead to the wood workshop in the other end of the building. Oh, and we now also have a second bathroom too.
When we moved in our current address the wood workshop was designed too small, with possible future extensions in mind. We couldn’t fit a proper size wood workshop back then, so we built a tiny one instead. The new extension enables us finally to have more people working at the same time, build dust collection, and to have some floorspace reserved for possible future equipment purchases.
The lifting door makes it easier to work with large items. The room immediately behind it is probably used for storage purposes for now. Other near future plans are building compressed air piping lines in most of the hackerspace and installing the compressor in its own room in our new area.
We were generously given this June free for moving in and renovating the extension before starting to pay complete rent. So far we have progressed with necessary changes quite a lot, but we still need more volunteers to help us build and renovate the area. We also have plans for more work in the old section of the hackerspace too. Improvements could also be made outside when we have time for it.
All photos from Saturday available on Flickr!
This Saturday morning we received a visit from Hong Kong Productivity Council. The group was on a tour learning about creative spaces in Finland, and they also wanted to see our hackerspace. Rambo was kind to wake up early (though he was CNC milling late on the previous night) so that our guests could also visit Espoo library makerspace and catch their returning flight. He also managed to get the front door open despite of some malfunction in the electronic lock. Thank you for the visit HK!
A new lathe
We have looked for a sturdier metal lathe for a long time. Earlier this week, I found a suitable candidate in Raisio, and Kremmen quickly arranged the deal after inspecting the machine and getting a group of donors for the buy. At 6 pm the lathe arrived at Hacklab front door. We had about ten volunteers carefully pushing, rolling and winching the heavy object – a true last mile problem. Front door was almost reached after two hours of work.
After getting over the doorstep and through our narrow corridor, the work became much faster. The space had been cleared clean earlier that day. For some reason, we managed accidentally open the oil plug and decided to release everything out after finding a bucket and some hand towels before making too much mess.
Our upstairs neighbours had got married that day, and they kindly gave us rest of their wedding cake. The project had taken some time, and not many of us had eaten anything in midst of it, so this was a very much appreciated and greeted gift. Congratulations!
At 11 pm, after solving the oil spill and making more space by sawing some bits off the wall, the lathe was now on its final spot. There are not much tools for the lathe yet, so if you want to contribute to this purchase, see our discussion forum thread about how we bought the machine and what is needed for getting it to work. Big thanks to everyone who participated in the process!
Lotta CNC was emptied of its excess milling material. It had collected a good amount of mostly aluminium chips inside, and it was time to get it all out. Now it’s looking much better.
Depili had started making a beaver figure sign for the wood working room door. First, the picture was printed, then glued on a piece of wood, band sawed, filed and finally a wood finish layer was applied on the surface. I used Inkscape and our vinyl cutter to make a stencil mask, and after some airbrushing, the beaver now had some character.
Also, rambo was quick fixing the front door lock, before leaving the space among the last ones (again).